Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Books We LOVE Part 1


I know that Valentine's Day was last week, but the Carnegie Center staff wanted to take a moment to honor some of the books that they LOVE. These are the books that they would read over and over and over again, without ever getting tired of them. We hope that it will inspire you to revisit an old favorite or check out a new book.


Amy Nichols, VISTA Volunteer Coordinator has serveral books that she LOVES. "How can I pick only one or two?? The Hero and The Crown by Robin McKinley is one of my perennial favorites. Robin McKinley is the best at using and reworking old fairy tale themes for a modern audience, and this novel comes complete with a slightly lame warhorse, an awkward and wryly funny heroine, and dragons and mages galore. I also LOVE Persuasion by Jane Austen. It definitely has some sad undertones that her earlier novels don’t, but I love its portrayal of faithful love rekindled."


Sarah Combs, our Marketing and Communications guru LOVES "Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block. I first fell in love with the book as a teenager, and it still has the power to turn gloomy days into sequined sunny dazzlers and to cheer me up when I’m home sick with a cold. Better than Vitamin C!"


Stay tuned for more books we LOVE!


Happy Reading!

~warmly~

Katherine


No comments: