Monday, July 14, 2008

A Camp Carnegie Poem to Share


Last week's "What's your Story?" camp produced such amazing work. Here's a poem by one of the students, Wenya, a 7th grader:

I'm from China. A place full of bustling people. From constantly walking, and resting.

I'm fron the Great Wall, and many aunts and uncles. From a place of great food. From the airplane to Ameica, that was so heartbreaking.

I am from that classroom. From trying to learn another language. From the timeout chair, to the playgrounds, to the nap mats. I'm from a world so big and yet, so small.

I'm from the library. From shelves of wondrous worlds. From A-Z, from 1, 2, 3. I'm from books.

I'm from dumplings and noodles. I'm from computer technicians and professors. From my room, to the Great Outdoors.

I am from begging my parents for a pet and being refused. From my cozy apartment home, to my childhood memories that I hold so dear.

I'm from the country to the city, and back again. From books, to toys from so long ago. I'm from handing things down to my little sister.

In my heart, there's a space reserved for my memories, feelings, and thoughts.

This is where I'm from.


More Camp Carnegie updates to come!

~warmly~
Katherine

No comments: